Tuesday, November 6, 2012

"7" Month 1: Food

Jeff and I are doing an experiment for the next 7 months based on Jen Hatmaker's, "7, an experiential mutiny against excess." The first month is food. It was the month I was most dreading because I knew it would be so terribly hard for me. It proved true. But I learned that I have a strong dedication and commitment when I say I will do something. It was challenging for sure and harder in some moments than others. We had to choose 7 food items (singular in ingredient) to eat (in addition to water only to drink, salt/pepper and olive oil only to use as seasoning). 
My list included:
Chicken
 Broccoli
Eggs
Apples
Carrots
Black Beans
Whole Wheat Bread

Jeff's list included:
Chicken
Broccoli
Peppers
Potatoes
Eggs
Apples
Whole Wheat Bread

There were about 30 people interested in doing 7 with us and for various reasons, by the end of the month only about 5 people actually made it. I lost about 10 pounds in the month and felt great physically although my clothes were falling off of me! I learned so much about myself both good and bad, in that food is SUCH A HUGE part of day and it shouldn't be. I've bought into the culture here that we "live to eat" instead of "eating to live." My choices are endless and I complain about things I eat a lot. When my choices were few, it made me so thankful for what I do have and really thankful that I had SEVEN things to choose from when there are so many that have NOTHING but the dirt we walk around on to mix with salt and water. Perspective is everything. My perspective was WAY OFF. Denying myself things I really wanted was not fun, but it's a discipline I need to get better at.  I can't say (post completing the month) that I am eating better or denying myself much these days in terms of what goes in my mouth, but I am so thankful for the experience and I learned so much from it. God really taught me so many valuable things during that month! I recommend this to all! Here are so random pics of our meals.

 I ate more apples than I thought possible. It was the only thing sweet in my list and I was creative with my eating. It's amazing how many things you can do with food when you have to!

No comments: